Wednesday, April 23, 2008

RICE

As prices start climbing higher and higher in all aspects of our daily lives it seems to have the biggest impact on the basics. As I mentioned yesterday there is not any "one" thing to blame.
Reuters reports on this :

UPDATE 2-Wal-Mart's Sam's Club limiting rice purchases

The news came as rice prices surged, with U.S. rice futures hitting an all-time
high Wednesday on worries about supply shortages.

On Tuesday, Costco Wholesale Corp (COST.O: Quote, Profile, Research), the largest U.S. warehouse club operator, said it has seen increased demand for items like rice and flour as customers, worried about global food shortages and rising prices, stock up.


Click on link above for the article.

Being the main shopper in my home for the groceries and the basics needed, I do see the rise in cost of the basic necessities rising daily. That is a concern of mine butI am not jumping to the extreme by believing we are going to have major shortages and have to worry about having food on the table. I am not running to the local Sam's Club to stock up and I do not have a stock pile at home. I believe this is just a extremist thing and that people are panicking for no reason. CA is the largest supplier of rice for the nation(and world) and maybe I am not well informed but I am not hearing this as an issue here.

If you have more info on this or would like to share your thoughts, Mrs Media Matters is waiting to hear from you.

|