Friday, July 22, 2005

Parent Outsourcing

I think in most of my posts I use the phrase, "You have got to be kidding me," and this will be no different.

You have got to be kidding me. I was reading this article in a magazine and this seems to be the latest craze. You can hire a "bike tutor" to teach your child how to ride a bike. One parent was quoted as saying "When you're teaching your kid, they have anxiety, you have anxiety." Well let me see here, duh.(yes another one of my favorite sayings) What in the world do these parents think they are doing. Part of the fun of being a parent is teaching your child how to ride a bike. Your child does not want to learn to ride a bike from a stranger. Don't they get enough from outsourcing teaching by being at school? Parents were saying well we are just too busy with other stuff and we just don't have the time. You are a parent you make the time. Quality parent time is teaching your child things. It is like the rich parents who just pass their kids off to a nanny and if they are children of stars, you seem to hear years later, they had more fond memories of their nanny than they did of their parents. Parenting does not come with an instruction manual and you just do the best that you can. A child is always looking to spend time with you not a tutor. I also read that you can have someone potty train for you also. End thumb sucking, and bake class cupcakes. Oh brother. Where is the fun of having your daughter come to you the night before and say "Mommy I need 36 cupcakes tomorrow for a class party. " That is part of being a child (last minute "I forgot") and the joy of being a parent when you see the smile on your daughter's face because you did it for them and they had cupcakes to take to class. If you hire someone to do this then you don't get that pleaseure. I would never hire anyone to bake cupcakes for my child's class. Have your child help you. Be there to kiss your child's knee when they fall off their bike for the first time(and they will). That is part of being a parent. You made that decision when you birthed that baby. Then you want to pass off the little joys to some tutor because you think it is stressful. Well I hate to tell you this but being a parent is stressful. Just because they grow up and move away doesn't make it any less stressful. Just because you have the money to afford a tutor doesn't mean you do it. Be a parent! That is what your child wants.

|