Thursday, October 19, 2006

Video Games? Not So Bad.

Video Games good for kids? Study says yes.

WASHINGTON -- Video games, often viewed by parents and teachers as the enemy of learning, may be good for kids after all.

The speed, color and action of the small screen can be harnessed for education, given enough investment in research. And that's not the conclusion of some band of slackers.

The theory is that games teach skills that employers want: analytical thinking, team building, multitasking and problem solving under duress
.
Unlike humans, the games never lose patience. And they are second nature to many kids.

There is a lot more on this story at the link above.


I have always believed that video games helped eye-hand coordination. I don't like the violent games but I do like the ones geared toward fun and child's play. My daughter learned how to play video games and began to surpass her mom who had been playing them over 20 years. I am looking forward to getting my son involved with them also. I am one big kid at heart. I love my Playstation. Yes, I know there are better models out there now, but I am happy with what I have. I love Frogger, that's my favorite game I have on my Playstation.

|