Saturday, November 11, 2006

Kudos to Wal-Mart

You know I really can't stand the place. I am an ex-employee who knows they are not as great as they would like everybody to think they are. My husband on the other hand loves them. I shop there because it is cheap not because it is a feel good place. My budget constraints do not allow me to shop at Target, where I would rather be. Anyway I will have to give Wal-Mart credit for this and also to Macy's and Kohls. Thanks for not being that very annoying PC!!

Wal-Mart Returns To 'Christmas' Marketing

This holiday season, Wal-Mart isn't trumpeting big bargains only. It's also bringing Christmas" back into its marketing, after several years of playing down the term.

Wal-Mart said Thursday that it will launch its first Christmas-specific TV ad in several years, feature Christmas shops, previously called Holiday Shops, and increase the number of seasonal merchandise labeled "Christmas" instead of "holiday" by 60 percent.

Macy's is adding Christmas signage in all of its department stores and Kohl's is playing up Christmas this year in its TV, print and radio advertising, according to Vicki Shamion, a Kohl's spokeswoman.


Of course there is one store that doesn't want to play along and probably several others.

"We are going to continue to use the term holiday because there are several holidays throughout that time period, and we certainly need to be respectful of all of them," said Dawn Bryant, a spokeswoman at Best Buy Co. Inc., whose advertising omits any reference to Christmas.

|