Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Lemons

You know the saying watch what you eat to be healthy? Well I think that saying means something totally different in this next story.

Bacteria Found On Restaurant Lemon Slices
One-Third Fail Small Test For E. coli
UPDATED: 8:10 am PDT May 20, 2008


LAS VEGAS -- Lemon wedges get plunked in your water or iced tea at a restaurant, and you think it's healthy.

The truth is that a little lemon wedge could contain hundreds of types of bacteria, some of them extremely dangerous, and others just disgusting, Las Vegas television station KVVU reported.

In testing of lemons from six restaurants, the station found two contaminated lemons. In one case, it was bacteria that you wouldn't want anywhere near you, let alone your mouth.

To collect the samples, the station visited restaurants the Olive Garden, El Pollo Loco, IHOP, Jerry's Nugget, McCormick and Schmick's and Triple George Grill.

Without touching any of the lemons, they were scooped them from the cups, placed into a bag and taken to the lab to get the results.

"I was surprised, because I would expect most lemons in most restaurants to come back clean," Francis said.

Four out of the six did.

But the lemon from Triple George Grill contained E. coli.

The other contaminated lemon contained coli form bacteria. There are hundreds of types. The lemon was found at IHOP.


Makes you think twice before heading for that lemon slice now, which I do love to have in my iced tea and water. I have a lemon tree in my back yard and love to have fresh lemons. Hmm, I better make sure I wash those good before cutting them. Could be birds doing their business on them.

|