Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Technology is not an Excuse

Someone sent me an email said it was a quote from Jay Leno. Who knows, who cares, but it did have some valid points in it. Basically in point to why we have fat and lazy kids in this generation. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of those from my generation. Can we blame technology? No, as I have always said and stood by; media, music, movies, and technology are not to blame.

When I was growing up in the 70's in Phoenix my brother and I were always outside, granted we did not have MTV(but the mid 70's did see video games, and we had them), we had bikes, skateboards, and a pool. We were always outside even in the 100+ heat days. We loved to be outside, today there are still kids out there that do, but a lot less and people want to blame kid obesity on technology. Bikes, skateboards and good old fashioned fresh air(yes it is still fresh is some places) still exist. I blame parents, kick your kid outside and get their butt off of the computer and away from TV. It is what parents do that influence a child. You say it's not safe, well it wasn't then either but you have to be smart about it. Fewer and fewer parents show interest in their child's lives and what they are doing, less communication. This is what is causing obesity, delinquency and just plan out and out rudeness and lack of respect. I am not saying all parents are like this.

How do I know this, from experience. I have a soon to be 21 year old and a 4 year old and made those mistakes with my oldest. I won't with my youngest. I make sure I pay every bit of attention and take an interest in everything my 4 year old does when he says "mama watch this," you bet I am. Sad to say I learned that lesson late. I definitely make sure I take interest in my oldest now. I can't change how she was raised though. I made it a point to learn from that mistake.

You can't blame technology and junk food, blame the parents for giving it to them. My daughter and my son don't struggle with their weight, my daughter always loved to be outside and so does my son now. I am lucky enough to own a house with a screened-in back porch and he is out there as much as he can be. As he says "go out there?" I will always encourage that and keep the communication going. Don't get me wrong my son loves french fries and he does get them, but not daily.

|