Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Will you live as Long as a FruitCake?

Not likely.....
I like to watch this show on the History Channel called "Life After People" as the beginning disclaimer states this is not how we might disappear, but what happens to the world we leave behind. The first segment is "one day after people." I love this show, and on the last one I just watched it talked about the food and things we eat and about how they decompose. One thing they talked about was a Fruit Cake and why it has such a long shelf life. Example was a story of a 130 year old Fruitcake that some Grandma had made and right after it was made passed away. The family kept the fruitcake until some Great-Great grandson took a bite of it 130 years later and he said it tasted fine. I thought to myself, gross! Do you really want to eat something that lives longer than you? This brings me to my topic of discussion.

I came across this article and don't know if I really want to buy my son anymore McD's Happy Meals.


McDonald's food not only tastes like plastic, it lasts as long as plastic.

A Denver nutritionist kept a Happy Meal out for a whole year just to see what would happen, and was shocked when the popular fast-food item hardly changed at all. Instead of decomposing like normal leftovers, the Happy Meal aged like a Greek statue, said Joann Bruso on her Web site BabyBites.com.

"It sat on my shelf for a year as a silent witness to our fast-food industry," she wrote. "It NEVER smelled bad. The food did NOT decompose.
I am not sure if this will ever stop me from eating McD's, but I will always think about this article when I do.

|