Tuesday, August 09, 2005

This Day in History


As I was not alive on this day, it still holds meaning. 60 Years ago today the last of two A-bombs were dropped on Nagasaki, Japan. This bringing the climatic beginning of the end to World War II. I remember one of my favorite subjects in High School was always History. I even had a class called WWII and Vietnam. I still love history and like to watch documentaries on the History Channel. Here is a radio address excerpt by President Truman on that fateful day:

"The world will note that the first atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, a military base. That was because we wished in this first attack to avoid, insofar as possible, the killing of civilians"

Notice the error of "military base" not city?
Yes, President Truman "thousands of lives" were lost. This day points out the fact that war is necessary to end certain conflicts. That is why I support what we are doing in Iraq. Those people deserve freedom and peace.

Dave has got some comments on today in history also and cool pics.

pic courtesy of this page

|